The name for Brampton is thought to be derived from the old English word for Brambles or Broom. Brampton first began almost 2000 years ago when the Romans built a fort here. Early Christians visited next, making their mark by building Brampton Old Church. In 1252 Brampton was granted the Market Charter by King Henry. Brampton also played an important part in history when Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed in Brampton en-route to London.
In 1746 six of his men were hanged from the Capon Tree where there is still a memorial to this day. In the late 18th century the Newcastle to Carlisle Military road was completed and brought further prosperity to Brampton. Most of the buildings still standing in the centre of Brampton were the result of the coal mining in the fells and also the cotton weaving industries, due to the increasing population being built from the local red sandstone.